It is not too late to get your home ready for the cold weather forecast for next week.
It’s particularly important to prevent frozen pipes – here is our list of things you can do:
- Leave your heating on a constant low temperature, or if you are going to be away for a few days set it by a timer to turn on a few times throughout the day.
- If you have a loft, go up and check the insulation, particularly beside the water tank.
- Make sure that pipes are insulated in pipe lagging.
- Make sure you know where the water stopcock is so that you know to turn the water off in an emergency. This will stop the flow of water and limit damage to your home.
- If you are going to be away, ask a neighbour or a friend to check on your home every few days.